Women in Leadership
With James W. Goll
- The Concern for Biblical Order
Primary Verse - 1 Corinthians 11:5
And any woman who publicly prays or prophesies (teaches, refutes, reproves, admonishes, or comforts) when she is bareheaded dishonors her head (Amp).
- The first priority for men and women both is a proper relationship to God.
- The second priority for men and women both is a proper relationship to those in authority including those in the church.
- Scriptural Liberty for Men and Women - Primary Verses
I will pour out of My Spirit upon all mankind, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. On my maidservants in those days I will pour out of My Spirit. And they shall prophecy (telling forth the divine counsels and predicting future events pertaining especially to God’s kingdom.)
I Corinthians 14:39.40
So, my brethren, earnestly desire and set your hearts on prophesying (on being inspired to preach and teach and to interpret God’s will and propose.)
- The goal is not to make the exception the rule, but to produce liberty and equality where there is no restriction enforced.
- A thought to ponder: What General of an army would only use one-half of his forces?
- Statistics reveal that 60% of all church members are women. Not only that, but 80% of all intercessors today are women!
- A dilemma exists! What are women to do who earnestly desire to be “prophetic”, but no place seems to be made for them? We need secure men and leaders who will graciously extend a biblical invitation into full participation in ministry and leadership alongside them to walk in and release this wonderful supernatural anointing. An invitation needs to be extended!
- Women Referred in Scriptures as Prophetesses
- Exodus 15:20 - Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron (one of the three main leaders with Moses and Aaron).
- Judges 4:4 - Deborah, a prophetess and a judge.
- II Kings 22:14-20 - Huldah the prophetess and keeper of the wardrobe.
- Isaiah 8:3 - Isaiah’s wife, the prophetess, whose name is not revealed.
- Luke 2:36-38 - Anna the praying prophetess, present with Simeon the Seer at the dedication of Jesus by His parents Joseph and Mary on His eight day of life. (A man, a women, a seer, a prophetess: equal distribution with unique expressions of the same prophetic presence.) As it was at the first coming so it will be at the second coming of Jesus as well.
- Luke 1:39-55 - Elizabeth and Mary. The interchange between these God-fearing women resulted in exuberant praises and prophesying concerning the destiny of Mary’s child within.
- Acts 21:8,9 - Phillip the evangelist had four daughters that prophesied (some translations say “who were prophetesses.”)
- Other Examples of Biblical Women’s Roles
- Esther - Godly queen who through her intercession saved the Jewish race.
- Abigail - I Samuel 25 - An advocate who pleaded a case for mercy to David on behalf of her husband.
- Jael - Judges 4 - She drove a tent peg into Sisera’s head and delivered him into the hands of Barak. (Deborah prophesied that the Lord would give Sisera to Barak. God did it through the hands of a woman.)
- Proverbs 31 Woman - She was involved in household and business issues, bought and sold real estate, ministered to the poor, etc.
- Woman at the Well - John 4 - Considered by many to be the first evangelist in the Bible as she went forth proclaiming the good news of the Christ (John 4:29).
- Phoebe - Romans 16:11 - A deaconess who washed the feet of the saints.
- Priscilla and Aquilla - Acts 13:26 - They were probably a husband and wife teaching team explaining the word of God with accuracy.
- Lydia - Acts 16:15-15 - She is noted as the first convert in all of Europe.
- Mary Magdalene - Matthew 28:1-10 - Women were the first at the tomb, first to hear that “He is risen”, and the first to announce His resurrection.
STEPPING FORTH - MOVING FORWARD
- A. Developing Security
- Put down your crutches!
God is removing the false props and crutches that we have used. He wants to relate to each of us first as a son or a daughter - not through another and not primarily centered around giftedness.
- We have a Father!
Let Him love on you and you back to Him. Let your personal communion with God be your priority!
- Breaking Intimidation
- Hebrews 12:1,2
Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses (who have borne testimony of the Truth), let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance - unnecessary weight - and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us. Looking away (from all that will distract) to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith (giving the first incentive for our belief) and is also its Finisher, (bringing it to maturity and perfection). He, for the joy (of obtaining the prize) that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Romans 8:15
For (the Spirit which) you have now received (is) not a spirit of slavery to put you once more in bondage to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption - the Spirit producing sonship - in (the bliss of) which we cry, "Abba", that is, "Father"!
- I John 4:18
There is no fear in love - dread does not exist; but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment, and (so) he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love - is not yet grown into love’s complete perfection.
- You must break off the spirit of slavery and its chains of fear of man! We must have no mercy on the enemy - for He has had no mercy on us.
- Concluding Admonition: Cultivate Your Unique Expression
We must quit comparing ourselves to one another and quit using someone else’s measuring stick on ourselves. Our eyes must be focused on Jesus and our goal is to do and be whatever brings Him pleasure. We are each planted in a garden in the midst of a great variety of flowers. Each has its own color, fragrance, and season of blooming. Our individual life, when lived to the fullest, releases our own unique aroma to the Lord. This collective blend of individual fragrances woos and draws the Spirit’s presence to walk among us.
Whether we are a man or women is really not the main issue. Are you being the unique vessel that God has created you to be? Step out of your self-made limitations and be the prophetic person God is longing for you to be!
There are professing Christians who think it their duty to make every other Christian like themselves. This is man’s plan, not the plan of God. In the church of God there is room for characters as varied as are the flowers in a garden. In His spiritual garden there are many varieties of flowers.
Let His unique fragrance come forth from you!
(These are some of the notes James used to speak from this past week on Let the Women Speak that were adapted from the Prophetic Maturation Study Guide which he and Michal Ann prepared many years ago. The truths are timeless and the message is even more relevant today as in the past!)
James W. Goll
James W. Goll's Itinerary and
Encounters Network Sponsored Events
December 15, 2013
Spanish Church Services – 12PM and 6PM
James Goll, Andres Vargas
Jesu Cristo Rey De Gloria Church
4026-A LaVergne Couchville Pike
Antioch, TN 37013
December 27, 2013 – January 1, 2014
Jesus Generation Conference
James Goll, Heidi Baker, Patricia King,
James Maloney, A. L. Gill, Edwin Duran
Blessed International Fellowship
(Meeting at Stadium Vineyard Bldg)
1531 S. Sinclair St.
Anaheim, CA 92806
December 29, 2013
Church Service – 11:00AM
James Goll, Paul Tan
City Blessing Church
18901 E. Amar Road
Walnut, CA 91789
January 3, 2014
A Call 2 Worship and Prayer
James Goll, Scott McLeod
1419 Clinton Street
Nashville, TN 37203
January 9 – 11, 2014
What Is God Saying For 2014?
James Goll, Dutch Sheets, Jane Hamon,
Denny Cline and Steve Shultz
Jesus Pursuit Church (Formerly VCF Albany)
2110 Santiam Hwy SE
Albany, OR 97322
January 29 – February 2, 2014
The Prophetic Voice Conference,
James Goll, Che Ahn, Bobby Conner,
Krris Valotton, Chuck Pierce,
Stacy Campbell, Shaun Bolz, Jeremy Nelson
The Ambassador Auditorium
131 South Saint John Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91105